We love ice melt and its practical uses during the winter, helping remove ice from sidewalks and driveways, but we love our furry friends even more. Some ice melts can cause serious side effects to animals if ingested or played on.
The two most common concerns when using ice melt with pets around are:
- Ingesting large amounts that are poisonous
- Playing or walking on ice melt frequently and the chemical on the ground getting into paws and drying out the soft pads.
There are a few things you can do and be aware of to protect your pet in the winter from ice melt:
- Avoid sweet smelling ice melts. Although it is highly unlikely that your pet will eat enough ice melt to get them fatally sick, you can help by avoiding sweet smelling ice melts that may have an appealing taste for your pet.
- Keep a watchful eye. It is also a good idea to keep a watchful eye on your pet when they are outside. Stop them from eating snow or drinking from puddles where ice melt has been recently used.
- Rinse paws. When your pet comes in from playing outside in the snow or taking a walk, it is likely they have gotten ice melt on their paws. Rinse your pet’s paws thoroughly to prevent ice melt from getting stuck in your furry friend’s paws and drying out their soft pads.
- Use pet friendly ice melt. Although many ice melts aren’t good for your pet, there have been advances in ice melts that aren’t harmful to animals. Our Ice Melter is completely harmless to all animals.
At Brody Chemical, we understand how much your pet means to you, so we wanted to make an ice melt that was effective in melting ice without being harmful to your pets and plants. Check out our pet-friendly ice melt and be ready to get rid of that slippery ice!